Dubai Expo 2020 has seen five workers killed on-site in the process of the construction of the enormous world fair. This news was hidden for such a long time and now has been revealed for the first time overall on the statistics for worker fatalities.
Previously, Dubai Expo claimed that 200,000 laborers operated approximately 240 million hours in the building and construction of the site.
Despite the repeated inquiries from The Associated Press and journalists, Dubai Expo 2020 had never shown any all-around statistics on worker casualties, sufferings, or coronavirus infections before this massive news broke out. They had been inquired a gazillion times to share their statistics but reportedly, there was no response.
This huge acknowledgment appeared lately just after last month when European Parliament instructed countries not to take part in the upcoming Dubai Expo 2020. European Parliament asked the nations not to become part of the Expo condemning the United Arab Emirates’ inhumane practices against foreign employees. The parliament also claimed that these practices have worsened during the pandemic season.
Before Expo 2020, the resolution from European Parliament reported that the corporations and construction firms were pressurizing and urging workers into signing and accepting untranslated papers that were the agreement documents. Seizing the passports of foreign workers is also reported followed by the system of endangering the foreign workers to extreme laboring hours. The workers have been urged to work for several hours day and night in hazardous weather occurrences. These workers are provided with unsanitary accommodation which is another no-no from European Parliament.
After this resolution from European Parliament, the Expo 2020 representative Sconaid McGeachin came forward to a press conference after the first day of the Expo. She alleged that the data about the mentioned casualties were already accessible but it was not presented in detail. She also said the government would provide additional data about the fatalities later, at some anonymous time.
The AP formerly had frequently inquired for the data several times and received no reaction from the Expo 2020 authorities.
McGeachin furthermore admitted the fact that the authorities were familiar with possibilities about contractors “confiscating passports” and engrossing in unlikely “recruitment practices”. She also acknowledged that they knew about the workplace safety infractions on site.
“We have taken steps to ensure those have been addressed and very much intervened in cases on that,” she said, without magnifying.
The United Arab Emirates, an oil-rich sheikhdom that counts on the low-paid wandering labor from Africa, Asia, and Arab countries to keep its economy humming, encounters extreme long-standing objections and critics from human rights organizations for behaving towards those foreign workers poorly.
But officeholders have combated to exemplify a positive image for Expo, the first world’s fair in the Middle East that strives to boost Dubai’s dignity and attract millions of exotic foreigners.
Employees in the United Arab Emirates are banned from unionization and have limited protections, frequently laboring long hours for tiny wages and habitation in substandard conditions.
Dubai’s hazardous weather not only ditched the laborers but also the visitors of the Expo on the very first day. Dubai’s charring first autumn flush substantiated unstable even for those touring the location on its opening day on Friday, with some visitors collapsing in the 40-degree celsius humid weather.
This write-up has been contributed by Farid Khan. He is a sports journalist, who’s currently Head of Digital Media at Cricwick & Cricingif. He is a former Social Media Manager for Peshawar Zalmi. He has covered HBL PSL, Lanka Premier League, and T10 League among other franchise comps. He can be reached at @NotFareed on Twitter.
Stay tuned to Baaghi TV for more. Download our app for the latest news, updates & interesting content!