Lagos, April 7 2021: In the latest kidnapping incident in the southwest of Nigeria, two armed men kidnapped two Chinese workers from a gold mine site, first shooting their security guards.
A hallmark of the oil-producing south, kidnapping for ransom has lately spread to other parts of the country. The victims are usually released after a ransom is paid although police rarely confirm if money changes hands.
The incident occurred on Monday at Okepa village in Osun state, police spokeswoman Yemisi Opalola said in a statement. She said “a gang of criminals, at about 4 pm., attacked and abducted two Chinese nationals.”
Talking about the victims, she said the two men, namely; Zhao Jian, 33, and Wen, 50, were working at a mining site. The gunmen shot and wounded two private guards attached to the foreigners, and they had been hospitalised, the spokeswoman said.
She said”The police are on the trail of the perpetrators of the crime.” Chinese firms are working in Nigeria on multi-billion-dollar infrastructure projects that include mining, railways, airports and roads. Their workers have been repeatedly targeted by kidnap gangs.
Stay tuned to BaaghiTV for latest news and Updates!
Massive “scraping” operation in 2019 led to the data of over 500million users being leaked: Facebook