PU syndicate stops ‘illegal’ appointments made by former VC

Punjab University Syndicate meeting held on Tuesday and stopped the alleged illigagal appointments made by the former voce chancellor of PU Prof Dr Niaz Ahmed Akhter.

PU syndicate approved Rs12.5 billion budget for fiscal year 2022-23.

PU syndicate has stopped the alleged controversial appointments and now a committee has been constituted to probe the matter.

As per reports, a number of complaints were made against the appointments made by the former VC.

The university expects a total grant of Rs 2.9 billion from Higher Education Commission, 22 percent of the total budget while PU would generate the rest of 78 percent from own sources. According to other salient features of the budget, special students will also be provided with free education along with boarding facilities while students taking admission on sports basis will be provided with free education.

The university will continue to waive off tuition fee of Hafiz-e-Quran. Punjab University will provide Rs 233 million scholarships to the students. Moreover, HEC scholarships worth 136 million rupees and PEEF scholarships will also be provided to students.

In the budget, Punjab University would continue to provide subsidy of millions of rupees to the students in hostel, transport and internet heads and in addition to the above, subsidy on electricity bills in teaching departments is also being provided. PU has allocated Rs 608 million for development projects.