US Acknowledges Drone Strike in Kabul, Calling it “a Mistake”

The United States has acknowledged the drone strike in Kabul that killed ten innocent civilians, including seven children.

The Pentagon has acknowledged that the United States (US) drone strike in Kabul on August 29, 2021 was a mistake that killed ten innocent civilians a few days before the withdrawal.

According to the details, a US Central Command investigation has found that a drone strike in Kabul killed nine members of a family, including a rescue worker, and seven children. The youngest girl killed in the attack was 2-year-old Sumaya, and the oldest child was 12-year-old Farzad.

The Pentagon says US intelligence monitored the man’s car for eight hours and believed he belonged to the Khorasani, a militant group in Afghanistan. The deadly attack was one of the last before the US-led war in Afghanistan lasted 20 years.

Another blast in Kabul
Torture Cell discovered at Mayo Hospital, Video Goes Viral

General Kenneth Franklin McKenzie called the attack a “tragic mistake” and said it was not possible for the family to be linked to the Khurasan group or a threat to US forces.

“It was a mistake, and I offer my sincere apology, as the combatant commander, I am fully responsible for this strike and its tragic outcome,” commander of US Central Command, told reporters. “I offer my profound condolences to the family and friends of those who were killed,” McKenzie added.

US Acknowledges Drone Strike in Kabul, Calling it "a Mistake"
Afghans inspect damage of Ahmadi family house after US drone raid in Kabul on August 29 [File: Khwaja Tawfiq Sediqi/AP photo]
UK removes Pakistan from COVID-19 Red List
PIA Starts Special Flight Operations for the Middle East

According to the US investigation, a drone monitoring the car spotted a few containers in the trunk of the vehicle which were believed to be explosives but were containers filled with water. The investigation also revealed that the aid worker’s car was spotted at a compound linked with the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K) and that the car was transported in connection with other intelligence information about the Kabul Airport attack plan.

The vehicle was attacked as aid worker and his family were traveling on the road from a house about three kilometers from Kabul airport.

“This strike was taken in the earnest belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our forces and the evacuees at the airport, but it was a mistake,” McKenzie said.

UK Denies Involvement in Pak-NZ Tour Cancellation
Fawad Chaudhry Under Criticism, Pictures Go Viral on Internet

Among those killed was Ahmed Nasser, who had been working as a translator for US forces. Others included those who had previously worked with various international organizations and had visas and were awaiting permission to travel to the United States during their withdrawal from Afghanistan.

A relative named Ramin Yousufi said, “It’s wrong, it’s a brutal attack, and it’s happened based on wrong information.” He added, tearfully: “Why have they killed our family? Our children? They are so burned out we cannot identify their bodies, their faces.”

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!