Prince Harry and his wife Meghan blacklisted four major British tabloids on Sunday, accusing them of publishing stories that were “distorted, false and invasive beyond reason”, UK media reported.
In a letter to the editors of the Sun, Daily Mail, Mirror and Express, the couple, who have formally stepped down as senior members of the British Royal family, said there would be “no corroboration and zero engagement” with the newspapers, the Guardian said.
The letter states that the policy is not about avoiding criticism or censoring accurate reporting. It further states that the couple does not want to be used as a “currency for an economy of clickbait and distortion.”
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made a bombshell announcement in January regarding their exit from the Royal life and becoming financially independent. It has been reported that Meghan had been unhappy with the royal life and complained about the media intrusion, thus making a departure dubbed as ‘Megxit’.
The couple’s hostility towards some media outlets spilled over into legal action last year, with Harry suing over alleged voicemail interception and Meghan filing a claim over a private letter to her father appearing in The Mail on Sunday after he shared it with the tabloid.
The Guardian has described the letter as an unprecedented attack on a large part of the media.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have watched people they know — as well as complete strangers — have their lives completely pulled apart for no good reason, other than the fact that salacious gossip boosts advertising revenue,” according to an excerpt published by the Guardian.
In their message to the editors, the pair said their new policy did not apply to all media and that they would continue to work with journalists around the world.
Stay tuned to Baaghi TV for more updates and news.