Monty Panesar pulls out of Kashmir Premier League

Aug 2, 2021: Former England off-spinner Monty Panesar has announced his withdrawal from the Kashmir Premier League (KPL), saying he does not want to be a part of political tensions between Pakistan and India as it would make him “uncomfortable”.

The former cricketer confirmed in a tweet that he did not want to be in the middle of this (political tension between the two countries). “I have decided not to participate in the KPL due to political tensions between India and Pakistan,” Monty Panesar said in a tweet.

Monte was to be a part of the squad for KPL team Kotli Lions, led by wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal.

His decision to withdraw from the tournament came after another international cricketer, former South African Herschelle Gibbs, alleged that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had threatened players participating in the KPL.

The BCCi warned all foreign players participating in the KPL that they will not enter India for any cricket related activity if they chose to play in the KPL, Pakistan’s new domestic league . “

“It is completely unnecessary for the BCCI to try to level its political agenda with Pakistan and stop me from playing in KPL2021. They even threatened me by saying that they would not allow me to do anything related to cricket in India. It’s ludicrous, “Gibbs posted in a tweet on Saturday.

Despite Monty Panesar’s decision however, former Sri Lanka captain Tillakaratne Dilshan has said that he will participate in the KPL even after receiving threats.

Following Gibbs’ allegations, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) also reacted strongly to reports that the BCCI was barring foreign cricketers from participating in the KPL.

The PCB believes that the BCCI has defamed the game by issuing warnings to several ICC members to bar them from participating in the Kashmir Premier League, further threatening to send them to India for cricket-related work.

Accusing the Indian Cricket Board of politicizing cricket, the PCB announced to take up the matter with the International Cricket Governing Body.

In response on Sunday, the BCCI maintained that it was within its rights to act in a way that was best suited to the cricket ecosystem in India. “While no one can confirm or deny the veracity of the statement of a former player who has previously been involved in a CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) investigation into match-fixing, the PCB should understand that if even if Gibb’s statement is accepted, the BCCI will be in favor of making decisions about the ecosystem of cricket in India.”

“The fact that Indian cricket’s ecosystem is the most sought after for cricketing opportunities globally should not be envied by the PCB.”

The tournament will start on August 6, with six franchises competing against each other. The tournament is scheduled to end on August 16.

Stay tuned to BaaghiTV for latest news and Updates!

BCCI urges ICC to not recognise Kashmir Premier League

Pakistan FO condemns Canadian attempts to undermine Pakistan’s role in Afghan Peace Process