Baaghi TV: ISIL attack on a jail in the Afghan city of Jalalabad has killed 29 people, while Afghan security forces have killed eight attackers after 18 hours of fighting.
According to a foreign news agency, 29 people were killed in an exchange of fire between security forces and ISIL fighters during an attack on an Afghan prison. According to the Afghan news agency ‘Tolo News’ Security forces have killed 8 ISIL attacks and completed the operation.
Ataullah, a spokesman for the Nangarhar Governor’s House, said 29 people had been killed and about 50 injured in the attack. Defense Ministry spokesman Fawad Aman said the operation had been completed.
According to Tolo News, after the attack, Afghan Army Chief General Zia Yassin also arrived at the scene of the attack and reviewed the situation. On the other hand, the Afghan Taliban has denied the attack.
Taliban political spokesman Sohail Shaheen told the Associated Press that his group was not involved in the Jalalabad attack. We have a ceasefire and we are not involved in any such attack in the country.
The Taliban also denied involvement in Thursday night’s suicide attack in the eastern province of Logar.
It should be noted that this attack ended the truce between the Afghan security forces and the Taliban on the occasion of Eid-ul-Adha.
Although the three-day ceasefire ended on Sunday, Kabul hoped it could be extended.
Meanwhile, ISIL news agency Amaq announced that its fighters were behind the attack on the jail. Meanwhile, a security source told AFP that there were more than 1,700 inmates in the jail at the time of the attack, most of them ISIS and Taliban fighters.
A spokesman for the Nangarhar governor, Ayatollah Khogyani, told news agaency that about 700 prisoners who escaped during the attack had been recaptured.
The Associated Press also reported that the attack began on Sunday when an ISIL suicide bomber rammed a car packed with explosives into the entrance to the Jalalabad prison.
Stay tuned to Baaghi TV for latest news and updates!