According to a Baaghi TV report, US President Donald Trump planned to attack Iran last week. Following the IAEA report, Trump continued to consider options for an attack on Iran.
According to the New York Times, the advisers informed Trump not to engage in a direct confrontation with Iran. According to the newspaper, the US President was advised that doing so could involve the US in a direct border war with Iran.
The US president called a meeting of top officials last Thursday. It was attended by Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher C. Miller and General Mark A. Millie.
Trump asked his advisors how he should react to the International Atomic Energy Agency’s report and what options he had. Foreign Secretary Mike Pompeo and General Mark A. Millie told the president that any military or cyber attack could spark a new conflict in the region.
According to the report, after the meeting, participants were convinced that the president would not launch a missile attack, but could take tougher action against Iran and its allies. According to the New York Times, Trump abandoned his plan to attack Iran after consulting with his advisers.
On the other hand, according to the news agency Reuters, the White House has refused to comment on the matter.
In his four years in office, Trump has pursued an aggressive policy against Iran. Aliza Miravsefi, a spokeswoman for Iran’s mission to the United Nations in New York, said Iran’s nuclear program was for purely peaceful purposes and for civilian use, and that Trump’s policies had not changed. However, Iran has the ability to use its legitimate military power to deter or respond to any aggression.
In January, Trump ordered a US drone strike. In which Iranian General Qasim Soleimani was killed at Baghdad airport.
Stay tuned to Baaghi TV for the latest news and updates!